Altran is recruiting a Software Tools Engineer to join the Intelligent Systems’ R&D team in Bath.
As a Software Tools Engineer with Altran, you will be responsible for developing innovative software tools that position us to efficiently deliver next-generation software-based systems to our customers.
You will possess creative problem-solving skills in a team environment and comfortable with communicating clearly and efficiently throughout varying levels of both the customer and Altran businesses. Due to the nature of the assignments undertaken by Altran you will work in an environment that promotes autonomy and initiative, requiring a flexible attitude. Above all, you will have a desire to progress.
During a recent research project Altran have developed a proof-of-concept model-based toolchain (MBT) along with a roadmap to expand its scope and functionality to encompass the full software lifecycle. Working within the Eclipse framework, your role will be to help realise this product roadmap including:
- Working with product owners to capture tool requirements
- Architecture design of new features
- Implementation of new features in Java and Eclipse-based model-transformation languages
- Definition & implementation of APIs
- Working with 3rd parties (partners and suppliers) to integrate new and existing tools
- Following quality control procedures such as reviews & testing to company standards
- Participating in maintenance of product backlog and sprint planning
- Research into novel techniques for extracting metrics from model-based repositories
- Being an active member of the Altran software community, sharing best-practice and contributing to Altran’s capabilities in this area
- Internal and external dissemination of research results and case studies via papers, conference presentations, engineering forums etc.
Qualifications and Technical Skills
- A degree (BSc or MSc) or equivalent experience in a relevant science or engineering discipline eg. computer science, software engineering, electronic engineering
Knowledge and Experience
- Due to the nature of Altran’s end-customer projects, this role will require obtaining a basic level of security clearance.
The successful candidate will have the following skills:
- Knowledge and experience of building tools using Java within the Eclipse framework
- Excellent organisational, oral communication and written skills
- Being able to work effectively both as part of a team and when working alone
- A high degree of interpersonal skills
- A commitment to quality and outstanding results
- An ability to think analytically, rigorously and creatively
- You will have a mixture of product-based and research experience, industrial or academic, that will give you the flexibility and autonomy required to work within our industrial R&D team.
The successful candidate may also have the following skills:
- Knowledge and experience of building Eclipse features and plug-ins using Maven and Tycho
- Knowledge and experience of model management languages supported by Eclipse such as EMF and Sirius
- An ability to elicit requirements from domain experts and work in an agile manner to refine the requirements through prototyping and feedback sessions
- A sound appreciation of the underlying principles of software engineering for complex embedded systems
- Knowledge of industry-standard tools and techniques, and a critical appreciation of their strengths and weaknesses
- You will have demonstrated your ability, and you will have the capability to represent Altran to research partners and to the wider technical community
In addition to the culture and career development opportunities at Altran, we offer a matched pension scheme, healthcare and generous holiday allowance.