Software Test Engineer
Groupon’s mission is to become the daily habit in local commerce and fulfil our purpose of building strong communities through thriving small businesses by connecting people to a dynamic, global marketplace for local services, experiences and goods. In the process, we’re positively impacting the lives of millions of customers and merchants globally. Even with thousands of employees spread across multiple continents, we still maintain a culture that inspires innovation, rewards risk-taking and celebrates success. If you want to take more ownership of your career, then you’re ready to be part of Groupon.
IDL, part of the Groupon family is one of Europe’s fastest growing mobile marketing companies, with a team of over 100 working on its award-winning vouchercloud and Giftcloud businesses to deliver creative digital campaigns for world-famous brands. IDL’s flagship product – vouchercloud – is a UK leading voucher platform, having revolutionised the marketplace with the launch of Europes first voucher app in 2010. The app has since been downloaded over 10 million times globally, and the website sees 5 million monthly web sessions, with savvy shoppers across the world accessing a huge range of money saving deals.
We’re a “best of both worlds” kind of company. We’re big enough to have resources and scale, but small enough that a single person has a surprising amount of autonomy and can make a meaningful impact. We’re curious, fun, a little intense, and kind of obsessed with helping local businesses thrive. Does that sound like a compelling place to work?
The successful Software Test Engineer will have in-depth commercial experience working as a Test Engineer, testing large scale enterprise hosted systems within a defined testing framework based on industry standard testing techniques.
As a Software Test Engineer, you will be responsible for assuring quality across a range of products and to minimize the potential risk of products produced within the Development Department. Quality is determined by factors such as meeting functional requirements, stability, scalability, usability and performance therefore, this is a multi-faceted technical role.
As a Software Test Engineer, you will be an innovative, proactive individual who thrives under pressure and leads by example. Inspiring quality throughout the department, with the ability to offer solutions to issues rather than just highlighting problems. The successful candidate must be willing to get their hands dirty and really get involved in the day testing, as well as keeping abreast with the latest advances in testing methodologies, approaches, and tools.
You’ll Spend Time on the Following:
- Improving efficiency and quality of the QA team to ensure QA is not a bottleneck and reliable for helping deliver quality work on time
- Risk analysis and conveying the level of risk to the business to provide adequate information to enable informed decision making
- Working closely with Business Analysts to review and contribute in creating functional requirements for new software deliverables and changes to existing systems
- Working closely with the Development team through the full development lifecycle
- Develop test cases, data and scripts for system tests and User Acceptance Tests, covering functional, non-functional testing and other (e.g. performance, scalability) aspects
- Defining test conditions and plans for review based on business priorities and project/product risk
- Provide validation and verification of requirements, functional specifications etc for testability and completeness
- Ensure software is fit for purpose through defect and vulnerability detection
- Manage and maintain test results, defects and resolutions
- Support User Acceptance Testing and successful implementations into production
- Replicate and examine the root cause of incidents in production
- Demonstrate flexibility and commitment, including work on delegated tasks when necessary and assist others within the company if your help is asked for
- Understand personal day-to-day targets in relation to the team and the business goals
- Triage and assist with support enquiries
- Implement test process improvements resulting from lessons learned and benefits surveys
- Interact with the Technical Team to identify the best ways to leverage automated testing
- Support Development and Implementation across the software pipeline
- Presenting new ideas and lessons learned to the Technical Team
We’re excited about you if you have:
- Testing large and complex software applications
- Commercial experience of testing web based applications, some experience in HTML, XML, .NET and SQL developments
- Exposure to Microsoft Visual Studio, .NET Framework and C#
- Experience of building and executing database queries (SQL)
- Application of structured testing methodologies and techniques to define test strategies.
- Full knowledge of typical Development Life Cycles
- Full knowledge of Software Test Life Cycle
- Demonstrate a clear understanding of testing models including black / white box testing (i.e. boundary error checking, prediction of common failures etc)
- Previous experience of cross platform testing across: Web, Mobile and Tablet devices
- Previous experience in a non-functional testing role such as: Performance, Resilience or other non-functional test types
- Effective test execution co-ordination
Personal skills and experience
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written, and able to demonstrate the ability to communicate complex ideas clearly
- Good attitude, flexible and adaptable nature
- Self-motivated and able to take the initiative
- Confident and resourceful in the face of challenges
- An eye for accuracy & detail with strong analysis and debugging skills
- Ability to monitor and report on progress – highlighting risks and issues as appropriate in a timely fashion
- Quick to learn: need to be able to gain / utilise knowledge of new systems / functionality quickly