We are recruiting Software Engineers to work at our Bath offices.
As a Software Engineer with Altran, you will be fundamental to our ability to deliver to our customers and clients. Our customer expectations are high, as such we are looking for adaptive driven people to deliver on time to required quality.
Typical application domains include air traffic control systems, civil nuclear, and defence systems. The tasks and responsibilities of the roles will cover all aspects of the software life-cycle, and subject to competency and experience, could include any or all of the following:
- Producing software development plans, typically reflecting rigorous and disciplined development processes
- Writing requirements specifications
- Defining software architectures
- Developing detailed designs
- Implementing designs
- Producing assurance plans – including balancing static and dynamic analysis solutions to implement cost-effective assurance regimes
- Producing test management plans
- Developing test environments
- Developing and executing test specifications
- Supporting safety engineers in the development of evidence for software safety cases
- Contributing to technical content, for sales proposals
- Being an active member of the Altran software community, sharing best-practice and contributing to Altran’s capabilities in this area
For mid-grade and principal software engineers:
- Leading software development teams
- Setting technical strategies for bids and developments
For principal software engineers:
- Acting as an advocate for Altran within the national and international software communities, by speaking at conferences, attending standards committees, etc
- Delivering training
- Performing consultancy activities in a variety of industry sectors
- Setting technical strategy for large and complex sales proposals and/or projects
- Providing flexible engineering judgement and taking leadership responsibility
You will possess creative problem-solving skills in a team environment and comfortable with communicating clearly and efficiently throughout varying levels of both the customer and Altran businesses. Due to the nature of the assignments undertaken by Altran you will work in an environment that promotes autonomy and initiative, requiring a flexible attitude. Above all, you will have a desire to progress.
Qualification and Education:
- A good first degree in an engineering discipline – or significant industrial experience
- Relevant engineering disciplines could include systems engineering, maths, physics, software engineering – the first degree is likely to be numerate and scientific
- Training and development is likely to reflect a multi-disciplinary background and for principal roles experience at a variety of different levels within a business
- Consistent in-service training demonstrating a professional approach to maintenance of skills
- For principal staff membership of a relevant professional institution with chartered status
Skills and Requirements:
For junior and mid-grade roles candidates are required to demonstrate adequate work experience of working in a relevant discipline or industry sector – either directly within industry, or an academic or consulting environment.
For principal roles, candidates are required to demonstrate extensive experience and are likely to be seasoned professionals known within the critical systems arena as a recognised expert. They will also be able to lead teams in a technical capacity.
This role may require obtaining the relevant level of security clearance.
The candidate will:
- Be able to deal with a wide variety of problems and devise innovative and practical solutions that balance the client’s needs against costs, schedules and risks
- Have excellent organisational, oral communication and written skills
- Work effectively both as part of a team and when working alone
- Have a high degree of interpersonal skills. You will have demonstrated your ability, and you will have the capability to represent Altran to clients and to the wider technical community, including interfacing with senior representatives of those organisations.
- Candidates will be able to demonstrate their commitment to quality and outstanding results
- Experience of working outside the UK is useful, and capability in foreign languages is a bonus
- A sound appreciation of the underlying principles of software engineering for complex embedded systems – in particular the role of static analysis
- An ability to think analytically, rigorously and creatively
- Candidates are likely to be highly customer-focussed and have effective oral and written communications skills to a range of technical and commercial audiences
- An ability to carry out detailed justified work to commercial and technical requirements, and to be able to constructively criticise and assess others’ work
- Knowledge of industry-standard tools and techniques, and a critical appreciation of their strengths and weaknesses
- For principal software engineers: An understanding of the issues associated with delivery of complex systems
- For principal software engineers: The ability to mentor and develop others
In addition to the culture and career development opportunities at Altran, we offer a matched pension scheme, healthcare and generous holiday allowance.