Seccl is a custodian and investment technology company that powers firms at the cutting edge of financial advice and wealthtech.
On a mission to rebuild the infrastructure of investments and advice, Seccl provides firms of all sizes with affordable custody, trading and settlement services, feature-rich investment management technology, and a suite of paperless adviser and client portals.
Financial advisers and investment managers can combine these modules to operate their own platform – helping them to take control of their client relationships, improve their customer experience and own more of the value chain.
Elsewhere, technology-first businesses from all sectors can use Seccl’s publicly documented APIs to get plug-and-play access to the financial markets – helping them to launch new investment propositions more quickly and affordably than ever before.
In 2019, Seccl was acquired by Octopus Group, the £10 billion group of companies that includes Octopus Investments, Octopus Energy and Octopus Ventures.
Want to work for one of the UK’s fastest growing fintechs, that’s powering some of the most innovative and well-known consumer investment platforms around today? You might have heard of companies like Crowdcube and Chip – did you know that they use our technology?
At Seccl, we’re rebuilding the infrastructure of investments and advice. Our software allows ambitious fintechs to quickly get to market with innovative investment or advice products – and helps financial advisers and investment managers to build stronger, more valuable businesses, by operating their own investment platform.
If this sounds exciting to you, then Seccl could be the perfect fit. It doesn’t matter if you have no experience in financial services or technology – we welcome unique and diverse talent from all backgrounds.
About the role
You’ll be someone who:
What will you be doing?
• Working in a domain aligned cross functional squad made up of developers, testers, product and designers along with colleagues from Customer and Operations.
• Work closely with product to provide input into shaping future work (we call them Bets).
• Be a technical leader within the squad.
• Be influential in setting the technical direction within a squad.
• Mentoring and supporting other members of the team and the wider Engineering organisation.
• Participate in cross team Chapters to develop and improve processes, best practice and technologies.
• Hands-on server software development, test, debug, deployment and support.
• Provide challenge to the methodology and architecture.
Who are we looking for?
You’ll be someone who’s…
• Excited about working in a rapidly growing FinTech that will throw you in at the deep end where your learning curve will be steep
• Experience of full stack development in a fast moving, agile environment.
• Ability to understand business requirements and turn this into efficient, scalable solutions. Desire to learn our business domain
• Experience of writing thorough unit tests with the strong desire to ensure code is robust and reliable. Knowledge of continuous integration
• Excellent trouble shooting and problem-solving skills
• Experience of document-based databases, specifically MongoDB
• Experience of Amazon Web Services, including Lambda, SQS and SNS and knowledge of Serverless environments
• Excellent organisation skills and strong team player
• A quick learner able to pick up new skills and technologies easily and enjoys complex issues and is able to describe to both technical and non-technical audience
• Previous experience of wealth management or stockbroking is beneficial
Our tech stack
We use Node.js with Typescript deployed on AWS Lambda, Mongo Atlas and
React on the front end.
Culture & benefits
We truly value diversity in our workforce, and we’re actively working becoming a more diverse and inclusive organisation. We write quite a lot about what it’s like to work here at Seccl – genuine flexibility, an inclusive and friendly team, a beautiful Bath office, great perks and benefits… we could go on.
But you don’t have to take our word for it. We were recently voted one of the top 100 places to work in the UK by Escape the City.
If you need further persuading, our current eNPS score of 59 shows that 78% of people who work at Seccl selected 9/10 or 10/10 on how likely they would be to recommend us as a place to work.
Some of this is down to our generous benefits, that include…
• All the usual stuff – 27 days’ holiday (plus bank holidays and religious holidays), cycle to work scheme, an extra day off for your birthday, and pension and life assurance policies
• Genuinely flexible working. Come into the office as much or as little as you choose
• Truly inclusive culture where diversity is a top-level objective
• Heavy focus on mental health and wellbeing. Take the time off you need, and make use of our mental health breakout room in the office, as well as free access to therapists and a Headspace subscription
• Strong commitment to continuous learning. We encourage everyone to spend 10% of their time learning new things, and provide free access to over 10,000 online learning courses via Udemy, which you can use for anything you want (whether professionally useful or not)
• Generous freebies and discounts through Perkbox (which includes Perkbox Medical, giving access to GP appointments), and a subscription to Rakuten for free movie downloads,
• A genuine commitment to delegated team ownership, a flat structure and massive quest for openness and transparency in how we work and share from the Board all the way down
• Beautiful office in the centre of the stunning city of Bath. A stone’s throw (literally!) from the train and bus station
We’re also part of the Octopus Group – an innovative, £10bn+ group of companies including Octopus Energy, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Investments. Octopus are on a mission to breathe new life into energy and financial services, and improve the lives of millions of people, so it’s great to be under their umbrella.
If you’re thinking of joining us or want to find out more about our work culture, you can also check out our Instagram, LinkedIn and Glassdoor pages.
Our recruitment process has moved to ‘virtual hiring’ only – and we don’t see this changing anytime soon. This will include video interviews and virtual onboarding… stuff that we’ve all become pretty used to over the past eighteen months.
Like what you see? Just send your CV to People@seccl.tech and one of our People Team will be in touch.