Alongside this year’s Silicon Gorge: Spring Edition we’re publishing profiles of a few of the companies that have made it through to the heats. This week it’s the new fintech investment app on the block, Stratiphy.
Here to answer our questions is Co-Founder and CMO, Nikki Hawkes.
Stratiphy is an investment app that lets you build trading strategies according to your risk profile, industry preferences, and sustainability criteria. It lets you see the historic performance of your selection, and gives clear instructions of what to buy and sell. You can create multiple strategies and run scenarios without any coding, using real time market data as well as environmental, social and governance ratings (ESG) to compare companies.
2. What problem are you trying to solve?
Analysing the market to determine the optimal stock investments to make on a continuous basis can quickly become unmanageable and complex. We found that there was no tool in the market designed to do market analysis for retail investors, while being accessible, affordable and bespoke to the user’s needs.
We also know first hand that institutional and high net worth clients of investment banks have access to bespoke investment strategies – so we decided to make our own and make it accessible to everyone.
The market for this product is huge. Robo advisory is an accelerating trend in FinTech growing at 40% a year, and a key trend for retail investors identified by the FCA (UK regulator). Research shows there are 700,000 active traders in the UK alone, with the total growing fast and most being millennials.3. What makes your solution unique?
Our technology performs the same analysis undertaken by equity strategy desks within investment banks, and we’re democratising access to professional quality trading analytics through our app. Our strategies are based on core principles; value investing, momentum investing, stock strength, and quality. This can help beginners get started, while giving seasoned investors advanced tools to automate their investment process.
We focus on effective risk management and responsible investing. Our product is designed to improve financial inclusion by simplifying the process of analysing the stock market and to generate wealth for our users by taking a long term view of risk management and rewards.
4. What are you most proud of so far?
We have secured contracts with Morningstar and Sustainalytics to introduce live market data into the Stratiphy app! We have also started a series of podcast-style events with a company called Finimize, doing investor conversations with big industry figureheads. And we’ve been accepted onto the SETsquared accelerator!
5. How much are you raising and what do you want to use the investment for?
We are seeking £300k investment. With this funding we will:
- Obtain regulatory approval from the FCA to arrange trades, so users can deal on our platform.
- Finish the build of a whole host of new features we have planned
- Have a significant marketing budget in this round to grow a user base
- Expand our team
6. What tools/people/services/organisations helped you most?
- Rise London mentoring team at Barclays have provided us really valuable business insights to help us get off the ground, get market validation and proof of concept.
- Andy Mulvenna from Brightpearl also advised and encouraged us to go for Setsquared!
- Beach design studio helped us bring to life a young and fun brand which we’re really proud of.
7. Where can we find out more about you?
Stratiphy is one of the lucky winners at this year’s Silicon Gorge: Spring Edition competition! You can find the full list of winners here.