The Silicon Gorge pitching competition will return this spring, with applications set to open next Monday (February 3), so it’s time to start preparing your applications!
The competition will bring up to 12 of the most exciting early-stage tech and digital startups looking for investment between £100,000 and £5 million. They will pitch to a room full of high-profile investors from across the region and beyond at the Silicon Gorge Investor Showcase as part of the Investment Activator Programme (IAP) on 30th April 2020. Applications will open on 3 February until 3rd March, with 2 semi-finals set to determine the companies making it to the final.
Any investors interested in attending the final event can contact IAP@techspark.co to find out more.
“Silicon Gorge offers startups an amazing opportunity to showcase their businesses to high profile investors”
Silicon Gorge has supported a number of successful businesses over the last 5 years, including Immersive Labs who’ve recently raised £40M in Series B, LettusGrow who’ve just secured £2.5M in seed funding and Yellowdog who secured £2.5M in additional funding last year.
Abigail Frear, Investment Activator and Silicon Gorge organiser (pictured left), tells us: “Silicon Gorge has showcased some fantastic tech companies across the years, many of whom have since gone on to secure significant investments which is fantastic.
As part of the IAP, Silicon Gorge can go on to support (and show off!) even more of our booming ecosystem’s tech startups!”
This year the competition, in partnership with the IAP (Investment Activator Programme) is open to any growing companies, the judges will particularly be looking for companies who have ambitions to scale with a strong tech basis.
Selected startups will be invited to attend one of two pitching competitions in Bristol and Bath on March 31st and April 1st, in which local entrepreneurs and experts will select up to 12 startups to go forward to the final.
The final 10 startups will also be given the opportunity to perfect their pitches before the big day at a free pitching workshop.
We’ll be announcing the opening of applications next week, to get ready we’ve put together a little timeline and briefer below.
Here’s what you need to know and when it’s going to happen:
- 03/02/20 – Applications open for Silicon Gorge 2020: Spring Edition
- 03/03/20 – Applications close for Silicon Gorge 2020: Spring Edition
- 13/03/20 – Succesful applicants will be notified.
- 31/03/20 – 1st Semi-final
- 01/04/20 – 2nd Semi-final
- 16/04/20 – Pitching Workshop for finalists
- 30/04/20 – Silicon Gorge 2020: Spring Edition Final
What do you need to get ready to submit your application to Silicon Gorge 2020? it’s not charts and pitch decks, we just want you to tell us about yourselves. To determine our semi-finalists we’ll need:
- Your name, company and email – we’ll assume you already have these!
- A summary of what your company/product does – Maximum 1000 characters
- What problem you are solving – Maximum 500 characters
- Why you/your product are unique – Maximum 500 characters
- How big’s the market – Maximum 500 characters
- How much you’re looking to raise
- Have you been helped by an incubator or accelerator – and which one?
- If you’re already generating revenue (congratulations!), the rough bracket you’re in
- Lastly, of course, what are you going to use investment for?
- You may like: UK first as Bristol & Bath creates programme to increase investment into successful start-up community